[mythtv-users] Re:nForce2 motherboards

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Oct 20 12:52:19 EDT 2003

On Sunday, Oct 19, 2003, at 10:41 US/Pacific, Ian Forde wrote:

>> On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 02:47, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
>> But remember, you can do that part w/apt also. Oh, and I'm a convert
>> also. up2date sucks.
>
> Must be a RHCE thing. ;)

Could be, though another RHCE I know over at Pogo Linux doesn't seem to
think along the same lines. He likes to stick to as stock as possible
in general, though (for support reasons)... ;p

>> 7. Installing Axel's kernel via apt.  Current version is 2.4.20-20_9,
> I believe.
>>
>> Almost. 2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at is the current one. (There are also
>> Rawhide/2.4.22-based kernels available from ATrpms, one of which I'm
>> about to install myself).
>
> Heh - you'd think I'd have gotten that one right - I meant to say 29,
> but my fingers just typed it out on their own... didn't feel like
> asking
> my brain... I didn't know about 2.4.22 though.  If it's got ACPI fixes,
> I might try it one of these days.

It does have a number of ACPI fixes, yes. That kernel is very similar
to the one in Fedora Core, which finally includes acpid as well, so
lots of ACPI improvements.

> ACPI and USB are things I had to turn
> off in the BIOS while troubleshooting those "X is using 100% CPU time"
> crashes and random hard crashes when using the nvidia driver for X.
> I'm
> really not looking forward to going down that road again... sigh...

I can't recall what my ACPI settings are, but I've got all USB stuff
turned on, and no problems on the 2.4.20 kernels... No hard crashes to
speak of...

>> I presume you mean mythtv with native alsa support? No, to date,
>> native
>> alsa support isn't enabled in the rpms. It *might* be in the 0.12
>> release...
>
> Nope - I'm running 0.12 - it's still not enabled by default.  Neither
> is
> XvMC though... curious...

Well, those aren't enabled, because not everyone using the rpms is also
using alsa and an XvMC-capable video card. Or were you referring to
0.12 source? I now assume so, since Axel doesn't have 0.12 rpms out
yet. :)

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE