[mythtv-users] Athlon kernel and Jarod's/Axel's myth install

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Oct 20 12:24:15 EDT 2003

On Sunday, Oct 19, 2003, at 04:14 US/Pacific, Romel Llarena wrote:

> I read in an earlier post that it would be optimal to
> use the athlon kernel update for my athlon based
> system.

Correct.

> I recently bought an MSI board with a PVR-250,
> Audigy, Chaintech GeForce MX, in hopes of emulating
> Jarod's system as closely as possible.

Wouldn't you know it? I just swapped out my MSI board for a Chaintech
nForce2 board. :)

> This is my 2Xth
> attempted install, each time getting a little closer.
> The athlon kernal update set me way back though.
> apt-get couldn't find the package so

???

If you have an Athlon system, already running a prior athlon kernel,
apt will determine which kernel to grab for you automagically. A simple
"apt-get install kernel#2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at" should do the trick.

> 1. I did an rpm -ivh
> kernel-2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at.athlon.rpm.
> 2. Modified GRUB
> 3. Booted fine to the 2.4.20-20_29 kernel.

1-3 are fine.

> 4. I then ran an apt-get update (why do I have to do
> this to get apt-get to work properly?

You have to get an updated package list. apt-get update grabs a bunch
of headers and misc other info, stashes it, and uses that to determine
what packages you can apt-get install.

> 5. After setting the KERNEL variables, I attempt a
> apt-get install nvidia-graphics-kmdl-$KERNEL.
> Following the instructions to the letter BUT removing
> all references to Twinview, X crashes on logging back
> in. I restore the original /etc/X11/XF86Config and
> skip the nvidia install for now.

Hm... Not good.

> 6. ALSA just plain fails. I keep getting a package not
> found error for all packages. I attempt an RPM install
> for athlon specific package. No UTILS found though.

Some of the files are on FreshRPMs, so you need the FreshRPMs repo as
well as the ATrpms repo to successfully install (they are complimentary
repos). What does you /etc/apt/sources.list file look like? If you want
to keep going manual, head over to http://shrike.freshrpms.net to find
the alsa-utils package.

> 7. This is at the point I gave up. Ran apt-get install
> mythtv-suite. Broken packages all the way down. 1:55
> AM went to bed.

Some of the deps for mythtv-suite are also pulled from FreshRPMs, so
that could explain your problem here as well.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...