[mythtv-users] Partition Advice.

marduk marduk at python.net
Mon Oct 20 12:15:04 EDT 2003

Aside from the other comments, I would recommend *not* using ext3 on
your mythtv partition.  The reason being that since recordings take up a
lot of space, so does your journal. So even if/when you delete a large
recording the information is still kept in the journal (in case you want
to roll back).  I've seen a case where a user deleted all the files in
his mythtv partition, but still had 0 space left, do to the fact that
everything is journalled.  I couldn't find any resources on how to clear
an ext3 journal except one post on the net saying to remount the
partition as ext2 and delete the .journal file.

Of course, if you put the journal on another device you won't have that
problem.  Also, other journalling filesystems may be different.

My mythtv partition is ext2 and I use LVM to merge 4 drives into one
volume group.