[mythtv-users] A few MythTV and PVR250 questions.

Christopher Maahs cmaahs at eatenbygrue.com
Mon Oct 20 11:48:55 EDT 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Oxygen wrote:

> I want to buy a set of 2 PVR-250 or any other hardware encoder
> (recomendations very welcome) and i will be recording 2 live feeds with
> them to burn to DVD.
>
> So what i basically need doesnt involve changing channels, or anything like
> that, i only need the 2 cards to record at the same times on certain
> occations (most of the time only one will be working). This live feed is
> very important and cannot be loss, so there will be a VCR recording
> also for added security.
>
> So, can i install mythTV and forget about TV listing and all that, and
> just have a button on my remote control to start recording from card 1,
> and another to start recording from card 2? (same goes for stop
> recording) and having a preview of both things as they go on a split
> screen, or something like the picture in picture?

If this isn't something that needs to be scheduled, or even if it is, it
seems that MythTV might be a bit of an overkill for your project.  I
suspect the software that comes with the PVRx50s might actually accomplish
the same thing.

> Also to the PVR250 im watching at eBay are made for gateway and they say
> they must be placed on the middle PCI slot, so i assume i cant buy 2 of
> this and use them in the same computer? ill have to buy the retail ones?

I'm guessing the middle PCI slot is simply a Gateway thing, rather than a
general issue with running two cards.  I'm sure someone on the list has
two running in a machine somewhere...

~cj