[mythtv-users] Re:nForce2 motherboards

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Sun Oct 19 11:41:08 EDT 2003

> On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 02:47, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> But remember, you can do that part w/apt also. Oh, and I'm a convert
> also. up2date sucks.

Must be a RHCE thing. ;)

> 7. Installing Axel's kernel via apt.  Current version is 2.4.20-20_9,
> > believe.
>
> Almost. 2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at is the current one. (There are also
> Rawhide/2.4.22-based kernels available from ATrpms, one of which I'm
> about to install myself).

Heh - you'd think I'd have gotten that one right - I meant to say 29,
but my fingers just typed it out on their own... didn't feel like asking
my brain... I didn't know about 2.4.22 though.  If it's got ACPI fixes,
I might try it one of these days.  ACPI and USB are things I had to turn
off in the BIOS while troubleshooting those "X is using 100% CPU time"
crashes and random hard crashes when using the nvidia driver for X.  I'm
really not looking forward to going down that road again... sigh...

> > 8. Install the atrpms alsa rpms.  The ones I have installed are
> > alsa-kmdl, alsa-driver, alsa-lib, alsa-lib-devel, alsa-utils.
>
> Some actually pull from FreshRPMs, but same difference.

Yeah... I think only the alsa-kmdl and alsa-driver pull from atrpms...

> > Note that by using Jarod's HOWTO, you'll be installing the entire
> > mythtv
> > suite.  I haven't tried it so I don't know if it includes alsa.
>
> I presume you mean mythtv with native alsa support? No, to date, native
> alsa support isn't enabled in the rpms. It *might* be in the 0.12
> release...

Nope - I'm running 0.12 - it's still not enabled by default.  Neither is
XvMC though... curious...

--
                       Ian Forde, RHCE, CCSE, SCNA, SCDME
                       ian at duckland.org / ian at cytben.com