[mythtv-users] Athlon kernel and Jarod's/Axel's myth install

Romel Llarena rdllarena at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 19 05:14:12 EDT 2003

I read in an earlier post that it would be optimal to
use the athlon kernel update for my athlon based
system. I recently bought an MSI board with a PVR-250,
Audigy, Chaintech GeForce MX, in hopes of emulating
Jarod's system as closely as possible. This is my 2Xth
attempted install, each time getting a little closer.
The athlon kernal update set me way back though.
apt-get couldn't find the package so

1. I did an rpm -ivh
kernel-2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at.athlon.rpm.
2. Modified GRUB
3. Booted fine to the 2.4.20-20_29 kernel.
4. I then ran an apt-get update (why do I have to do
this to get apt-get to work properly?
5. After setting the KERNEL variables, I attempt a
apt-get install nvidia-graphics-kmdl-$KERNEL.
Following the instructions to the letter BUT removing
all references to Twinview, X crashes on logging back
in. I restore the original /etc/X11/XF86Config and
skip the nvidia install for now.
6. ALSA just plain fails. I keep getting a package not
found error for all packages. I attempt an RPM install
for athlon specific package. No UTILS found though.
7. This is at the point I gave up. Ran apt-get install
mythtv-suite. Broken packages all the way down. 1:55
AM went to bed.

Any suggestions?