[mythtv-users] Is myth tv overkill for very simple antenna based application

Dean list at notthemessiah.net
Sat Oct 18 21:33:37 EDT 2003

I am a newbie to MythTV/Tivo/Freevo stuff, so please bear with.

I am thinking of intigrating Myth TV functionality into my wife's RH9
Box... However, we only watch PBS through an antenna. The reason I want to
set this up is because my wife is in grad school and is SUPER busy--too
busy to always watch her favorite shows when they are on. So I figure that
we can record them and watch them at our lesiure (like maybe on a laptop
while we travel).

So I would like to do the following:

Pull a signal from an aplified set of rabbit ears
Record programs at specified times
Watch programs ONLY on computer screen
Transfer saved programs to laptop (not entirely necessary, but would be
cool)...

Computer Specs:
RedHat 9
AMD Duron 1.3 GHz
384MB DDR RAM
Soyo sy-k7v Dragon+ (w/ onboard sound)
Asus 7100 pro GeForce2 MX-400 (32MB)

Stuff I plan on getting:
Amplified Coaxial Antenna (like from radio shack)
TV-Tuner/Cap card w/remote (I am looking for something simple and
functional, whatever is fairly easy to set up **being inexpensive would be
cool--but not necessary**)
Cable to loop audio into soundcard

So let me know if you have any alternative ideas or suggestions for my
equipment...

Thanks a lot,

Dean