[mythtv-users] Re:nForce2 motherboards

Sean shomann2 at insightbb.com
Sat Oct 18 15:48:10 EDT 2003

Wow, talk about timely:

Beware, what follows is yet another noobs attempt and advice seeking!

Alright. I have had my Myth box built since Monday night. Since that
time, every free piece of my time has been shared between Linux
install/reinstall, reading /searching the internet (and these lists),
and swearing (Your basic Linux noob ;) ). I have succeeded in getting
all the way into MythTV, watching LiveTV with both my OEM PVR-250
recognized. Everything has been ultra stable when left to its own
devices (there is a pun there) and all would be well EXECPT:

I can't hear audio. None at all. From system start-up to shut down not a
peep. I have tried nearly everything suggested from installing ALSA
(which gives a error on depmod about unrecognized symbol for snd.o), to
installing NVIDIA's trash (shame the software is so bad for such a good
chipset), to trying to get the Redhat default of i810_audio to work
(identified on startup, but NO sound). I have checked the mixer settings
and nothing says its muted (this would be in the panels, I don't know
the console command to check it).

So, coming back to the subject, here is what I am using:

Shuttle MN31N MOBO
512MB RAM
Athlon 2500+
Redhat 9.0 (upgraded to Axial's Kernel via apt-get)

To Vinton: Did you have audio upon original install before upgrade to
2.4.22?

To ANYONE: How do I go about upgrading the kernel to 2.4.22? I tried
following the instructions but was still having trouble.

Some more info:

my modules.conf file shows the i810_audio module plus the 2 extra
instruction lines bleow it in accordance with suggestion that I have
seen that this would solve the problem.

Tip or advice would be great and I thank you all in advance. I held out
alot longer that I thought I would even asking ;) That said...it was
fufilling to see that screen come this morning (channel changes on my
system seem to be in the 1-2 sec neighborhood...so I know something is
working right )

- Sean