[mythtv-users] Advice on getting Geforce MX440 to work

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 16 15:22:32 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Oct 16, 2003, at 09:13 US/Pacific, Joshua Goldenhar wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 00:15, Derek M. A. Lee-Wo wrote:
>> I just thought I would share some advice....
>>
>> I was trying to setup a RedHat 9 box with MythTV last night.  I was
>> following Jarod's well-written instructions when I got to the part
>> about
>> using apt-get to install the nVidia drivers.  I installed the drivers
>> as
>> instructed, but when I tried to bring up X-Windows after this, I kept
>> getting a "no screens found" error message.  Nothing I tried fixed the
>> problem.

Odd. No problems here either, and I've tried it on multiple machines
with various different nVidia cards... So long as your XF86Config is
correct, it should work with either source-based or rpm-based
installs... If you still have the rpms installed, can you get the
output of rpm -qa nvidia*?

>> Eventually, I decided to download the drivers directly from nVidia and
>> ran the install process.  It had to do some recompiling, but once that
>> was done, I was able to get X-Windows to come up.

Note that some of the TV-Out functions are broken in the latest version
on nVidia's site though...

>> Hopefully this would help other people witha similar problem save some
>> troubleshooting time.
>
> Hmm - I had no such problems using the rpms - but I did notice the
> latest rpm drivers are not the same version as the latest drivers from
> nvidia directly.

Because of the breakage of some TV-Out functionality.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...