[mythtv-users] Backend 3000 miles away (kinda)

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Tue Oct 14 19:27:35 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 10:11, Jamie Batmanglidj COMCAST wrote:
> Donald,
>
>     1. Try a serial cable first. Generally more tidy than trying to re-route
> via IR. There's  a python based set of scripts (do a google search mythtv
> dct2000 serial or something like that)
>         that provide basic channel change functionality over a serial line.
> (found a bunch of info on it at the link below)
>
> http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1192561#post1192561

Actually, the scripts can be found in the mythtv/contrib/ directory of
cvs mythtv.  Check the README file for implementation details.  (I wrote
the README.)

>     2. If I'm reading this correctly, . . . probably easiest to use coax
> from the cable box to the tuner card on the PC, anything else (SVGA RCA etc
> . . . )
>         and you'll need to hook up audio cables from the cable box to your
> sound card as well as the video source.

Yeah... that's what I did.  Although I could have gone the other way...
which I'll have to do this weekend anyway - my Freestyle card is in the
mail!

>     3. Yes and no, most systems (cable based still carry most of the lower
> channels as analog.) however you will not get your premium channels without
> going through your cable box.
>         it's there, might as well use it.

Agreed.

>     4. Really, use your cable box, you won't get your premiums without it.
> I'm on comcast so there's not much I can provide in way of detail for
> adelphia,

Absolutely.

	-Ian
--