[mythtv-users] Xbox Myth Frontend Questions

Michael Greb mikegrb at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 14 20:04:02 EDT 2003

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 12:21:18PM -0500, James S. White wrote:
> > Do you know if anyone is working to improve the overscan issue?  This is
> > perhaps the only thing holding me back from going with an xbox frontend
> > solution.
>
> I have had some success with the "new" xboxfb module. It overscans fine, and
> mplayer doesn't jitter, but mythtv does, which is really wierd because I am
> using xv for mplayer. I am going to check if it was a bandwidth issue by
> playing my .nuv mpeg (pvr-250) files through mplayer and see if the jitter
> is there.
>
> It looks like the last time xboxfb was updated was 5 weeks ago:
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/xbox-linux/kernel/drivers/video/xbox/
> so It' hard to say if anyone is working on it.

A fellow by the name of Oliver is currently actively developing it.  He
has also worked some on this problem specifically with me but wasn't able
to find anything telling.  Comparing a dump of the Conexant's registers
in a jittering and non-jittering scenario had nothing out of the
ordinary between them.  Most interesting is this problem only seems to
affect mythtv xv playback.  Other programs outputing video full screen
via xv seem to continue on as normal.  He is actually planning to
install mythtv at some point in the future to get a little more hands
on look at it.  Ed  (of Ed's Debian) also has worked on the video
drivers some and is currently working on the Focus chip.

Michael