[mythtv-users] Backend 3000 miles away (kinda)

Donald Cook DCook at t-online.de
Tue Oct 14 18:38:56 EDT 2003

I live in Germany and I have Myth up and running well.

In three weeks I will be spending a week in Northern Virginia (USA) at
my son's house.   My plan,  that while I am there, I am going to set up
a standalone MythTV system that I will control by ssh and Mythweb to
record programs in english for me to watch in Germany.  The method I
have choosen to get the nuv files to Germany is snail mail.  Before
anyone laughs, I would like to point out a quote I once read "Do not
underestimate the bandwidth of a stationwagon full of real-to-real
tapes".  So on a estimated monthly bases, my son will load up a large
USB disk using nuverport and ship it to me in the mail.

So my porblem is that with limited amount of time (one week- minus the
time eating amarican food and seeing old friends and family), I am
concerned about connecting to the Motorola dct2224 digital cable modem.
 Any pointers interfacing with it would be appreciated.

1.  Should I plan on using serial control or ir blaster (and how much
of a headache is it to get either working)?
2.  On the Motorola dct2224, what choises do I have on interfacing with
the tunner card (ie coax, composit, svga) and which would be the best
choice?
3.   On a differnt thread it was stated that even though the Motoroly
dct2224 says that it is digital, it has analog input for the lower 100
channels, would it make since just to plug the cable directly into the
tuuner card bypassing the cable box?  If I did this would I still be
able to get primium channles we pay for.
4.   My son has digital cable from www.adelphia.com .  Can anyone who
use that provider  give me more information about question 3.

I would appreciate any advance help on these issues so that the install
will go smooth

donald