[mythtv-users] Changing channel station names

scut erky scuterky at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 13 13:28:57 EDT 2003

I had the same thing happen to me, with TBS, in fact and it was a pain in the ass.

My only recourse was to go into the database and manually remove any record of the old channel and replace it with the new one. While both channels both appeared as 55 (or whatever), the new on was actually listed as 56 (well, 1056) in the database.

I found the following text from either a post or the docs, I forget, but this is essentially what I had to do:

"First, comment out the channel from the  /.mythtv/<sourcename>.xmltv file by inserting a "#" in front of the unwanted entry. This will prevent mythfilldatabase from grabbing future listings.

Next, delete the unwanted item from the channel table so that it will not appear in the EPG or when changing channels. The channels will always have "1000" added to them, so for example, assuming that HBO is channel 15:

$ mysql -u root mythconverg
mysql> delete from channel where chanid = '1015';

Old program data will be removed over the course of a week. However, you may want to immediately delete any current program listings for the channel that has been removed:

$ mysql -u root mythconverg
mysql> delete from program where chanid = '1015';"

And, of course, I'd recommend backing up your database first, even just with tar.

ps. May want to update your pgp key, looks like it expired on 3/22/2003.