[mythtv-users] front/back-end vs 'MegaMythTV'

Mark fairlane at voyager.net
Sun Oct 12 23:25:11 EDT 2003

On Sunday 12 October 2003 09:55 pm, Jay Camp wrote:
> I don't think one "MegaMyth" box would work to serve 5 frontends.  Keep in
> mind, you'd have to run sound to all of them too.  5 sound cards, 5 tuner,
> and 5 tv-out?  Don't think that's going to work.  Plus I doubt the remote
> controls are all going to reach that far using just RF.
>
> To me, it seems like local frontend boxes are the only choice.
>
> Jay

You might also want to evaluate if you REALLY need 5 separate shows
taping at once.  I think the likelyhood of this is VERY remote.  The myth
backend, if it's robust enough, should be able to stream at least 3 recordings
to various frontends at once.  If you don't have 5 people in the house that
all need to watch different programs at the same time, i'd question whether 5
tuners is required.  Seems like 2 or even 3 tuners would be more than enough.
If you select the proper tuner cards, you can use BTAUDIO, and save yourself
the separate sound cards.  With this many tuners, you better get some pretty
beefy hardware though.  I would think in the 3Ghz range would be minimum to
record 3 streams and serve out up to 5 at once.