[mythtv-users] ASUS Pundit SIS driver per Jarod's FAQ

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Oct 11 22:55:33 EDT 2003

On Friday, Oct 10, 2003, at 20:03 US/Pacific, Jeff C wrote:

> At 07:49 PM 10/10/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> Why kill artsd every time? I mention in the guide how to simply
>> disable it, because it does indeed cause problems... I have a feeling
>> you might have skipped over that part. :)
>
> Guilty as charged.  I skipped the sound section as ALSA was a
> complexity I didn't want, and thus, missed the artsd section.  My
> apologies.

No problem. I see how that would be overlooked. I'm making a minor
adjustment to that section, so the mention of killing off artsd is
before the part that says ALSA is optional, so hopefully, people will
catch that before skipping ahead.

>> What are you using test_ioctl to set exactly? Bitrate? You should
>> only have to set it once, then let it be. As far as capture rez,
>> that's taken care of by myth...
>
> Yes, bitrate.  I didn't realize it was persistent across reboots etc.
> I have had inconsistent results on my personal machine...

Well, it is supposed to be persistent. I'd swear I had problems with it
at one point, but I haven't touched it anytime recently, and it stays
solid at 720x480 for me.

>>> Other than the artsd problem, and using the latest driver for the
>>> SIS card, from the site you list, everything worked.
>>
>> Double-check the doc for how to disable artsd altogether, no killing
>> needed. I'll add a note for people to check for new drivers for the
>> SiS card.
>
> Great, thanks.

And thank you. I've got a slightly updated version posted now, with
more changes to come shortly. Gotta get crackin' on the update section,
since Isaac just said 0.12 should be out within a week or so...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...