[mythtv-users] Multiple Tuners/Digital Cable (Newbie)

Mike Green mikey at linuxwiz.org
Sat Oct 11 23:06:43 EDT 2003

Ok, I am not a newbie to linux.  I am however, quite ashamed to say, baffled
by the plethora of cables that can plug into and out of audio/video and cable
equipment :)

Allow me to express what I want, and please tell me if it will work.  And yes,
I have combed through the archives and and documentation...  If I have missed
some obvious answers in the documentation please feel free to point me to it.

I have comcast digital cable - a Motorola DCT2224/1362/ACDEG converter.  I
would like to:

a) Record an "analog" channel while watching live tv on the "digital" channels
and vice versa.

b) Record the analog and digital channels at the same time.

I am hoping I can achieve this by doing the following:

Have one pvr-250 for recording the "analog" channels that don't need to be
converted through the digital converter.  Channels 1 - 125?

Have a second pvr-250 to view and record live the channels that are digital
(pay channels etc..), hopefully using an IR Blaster or the RS232 port on back
of the converter box.

Have a third card with an mpeg2 decoder to view output on the tv.

To do this, can I just split the coax and run one half to the converter, the
other connection to card 1, and the third connection from the converter to
card 2?  Like I said, this stuff baffles me :)

I assume I will only need one sound card for playback since the pvr-250's
encode audio into the mpeg2, is this correct?