[mythtv-users] ASUS DigiMatrix - ideal Myth Box?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Oct 10 12:22:57 EDT 2003

On Friday, Oct 10, 2003, at 05:20 US/Pacific, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> On Friday 10 October 2003 03:51 pm, Jason Schloer wrote:
>> More info.
>> http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mmedia/display/20030909020224.html
>>
>> Looks pretty good. The HDTV port is listed with the S-Video port. Not
>> sure how that will work. Why oh why did they have to go and put the
>> spdif port on the front behind the front panel. I'm hoping that what
>> they have listed as the FM radio antenna is actually a coaxial digital
>> connector which is what it looks like. I'd hate to have o leave the
>> front open all the time just to get digital sound. Other than that it
>> looks awesome. They have a nice display, comes with a remote all kinds
>> of nice features and gigabit Ethernet for streaming all that HDTV
>> goodness. Could be an excellent frontend.
>
> Here's the question of the day, though:  what kind of tuner does it
> have?
> Googling around, a saw a passing reference to a 'low-profile PCI riser
> for a
> proprietary tuner'.  So what's the story?  Is it a low-profile riser
> card
> that allows (horizontal) full-height PCI cards?  Or is it a riser card
> that
> allows only low-profile PCI cards?  And what is the tuner that it
> comes with?
> I can't find any serious specs on this thing at all, other than
> listing the
> external ports.

Given that the only PCI TV tuner I'm aware of Asus shipping is a
Conexant cx2388x-based one, I'd wager a guess it is the same chipset as
that card. On the bright side, I'm in contact with someone who just
recently was able to get a solid picture and change channels on his
Asus TV card w/that chipset, using the cx88 driver, but he still has no
audio...

I have another question... How exactly does a S-Video/HDTV output work?
That doesn't look like any HDTV outputs I've ever seen... I presume
there must be an external dongle of some sort.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...