[mythtv-users] Cool idea: Use wireless PDA to control Myth

Jayson Garrell kyi at kyi.sytes.net
Thu Oct 9 15:27:42 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 14:11, Brandon Beattie wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 04:31:19PM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > On Thursday 09 October 2003 04:15 pm, Jamison Wilde wrote:
> > > Maybe this has been said before, but I've been
> > > thinking about how to be able to control mythmusic
> > > without having to turn the tv on, and I kept coming
> > > back to a touchscreen lcd, but this was always wired
> > > and costs way too much.  It would be pretty cool if
> > > there was a stripped down frontend for PDA's (Palm and
> > > PocketPC) that could manage Music playlists and show
> > > what was playing, without the need for the TV/monitor
> > > to be on.
> >
> > I actually bought a zaurus a while back with the intention of making a smart
> > remote for everything, but I've just not had the time..
> >
> > Isaac
>
> I've been designing my dream home in my head with such a remote/zaurus
> (I do own one).  However, Myth needs to probably move to the following
> state before something like that should be done (Or atleast this is just
> my thoughts).
>
> Myth needs to have "profile" or "session"s.  Each session can be a myth
> application in whatever state.  This state either is known by the main
> master server or knows how to redirect requests for that session to
> other locations.  Next you have a two types of clients.  One processing
> the media, and one controlling the media.
>
> In basic use, mythfrontend would start both types of clients.  But you
> can have other controlling clients connect (Mythweb, zaurus, a PC, etc)
> that selects which session (By getting a list of current sessions from
> the main master server) it wants to control.

I think what is also important it to see if myth will even compile on
the ARM proc. I currently have Debian installed on a 25G pcmcia drive
that I connect to my ipaq. this weekend I will see if I can get it to
compile mythtv.

On a side note. If it does compile, the ipaq probably has the horse
power to play video, recorded @ 320x240 or lower, fine. I have a few
dvd's that I ripped down to 320x240 and encoded them with ffmpeg to divx
format that play fine with opie-media player. If you have a microdrive
and mythtv will compile on the ARM proc it should be fairly easy to get
it working, except for the compile time will take awhile. Not sure if
anyone is aware but http://handhelds.org has a few public access ipaqs &
skiff clusters available for project to be ported to the ARM proc.
http://www.handhelds.org/projects/skiffcluster.html

Jayson Garrell