[mythtv-users] OT: ATI renewed committment to Linux?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 9 13:30:21 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Oct 9, 2003, at 12:01 US/Pacific, Aaron Stewart wrote:

> Commitment?  Hah!
>
> Read their faq.. it's basically a links list.. ATI is refusing to take
> any responsibility for linux support -- referring users to other
> communities and other 3rd party development projects.
>
> They're not even supporting their own drivers!

I'll just throw in my $.02 here... I installed the fglrx drivers for
XF86 4.3.0, because of video artifact issues I was having on HDTV feeds
w/the pcHDTV (it didn't like anything w/1920 width). Well, with the
fglrx drivers, NONE of the wide-screen channels show up with video
anymore (even ABC, which is 1280x720, and works fine w/the open-source
radeon driver).

To top it off, the fglrx drivers somehow managed to hard-lock my dual
Athlon system for the first time ever. Couldn't do anything in X or
drop to a VT. (I managed to ssh in, issue a reboot, but it didn't
reboot, it hung w/the frozen X display). I'm about to yank the card in
favor of a GF4.

We'll see what comes of ATI's supposed new dedication to Linux...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...