[mythtv-users] mythtv unable to read /dev/dsp??

jack straw findingjack at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 9 09:14:22 EDT 2003

i'm going to try this again, just in case seeing the umpteenth email with
(audio sync problem) in the header scared some of you away:

I'm running a 1.3 duron with 512 mb ram, with a pinnacle PCTV Pro and a
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card. I've installed everything clean as per
the HOWTO (using RH9 and all the latest bits and pieces)- got the soundcard
working (or so i thought) with ALSA (and i rememberd to disable "aRTS").
Everything works fine, EXCEPT for the audio sync issue. In other words,
mythtv works fine, the audio works fine- it just isn't synced (ie. there is
something wrong with /dev/dsp).

i followed all of the directions with regard to making sure the capture and
volume settings are correctly set (the audio patch cable is in the line-in
port, although it doesn't matter, it doesn't work in the mic port either).
the problem arises when i mute the line-in and stop getting audio
altogether. in MythTV the audio device is set to /dev/dsp.

when i ls -al /dev/ds* i get:

crw---------      1 mythtv       14,     3 Jan 30 2003 /dev/dsp
(highlighted in yellow)
crw---------      1 mythtv       14,     3 Jan 30 2003 /dev/dsp1
(highlighted in yellow)
crw---------      1 mythtv       55,     3 Jan 30 2003 /dev/dsp56k
(highlighted in yellow)

there are also adsp0, adsp1. adsp2 and adsp3 listed (looking exactly like
the above)

however, when i "dmesg | grep dsp" as one emailer suggested, i get nothing.

i know just enough about linux to hurt myself- but i'm pretty good at
following directions. any suggestions??

thanks

eb