[mythtv-users] Myth in a Virtual Machine

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Oct 8 12:34:27 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, Oct 8, 2003, at 02:39 US/Pacific, Per Åge Sørvik wrote:

> Michael Starks wrote:
>
>> I've been pondering running Myth in a Virtual PC.  Has anyone done
>> this with
>> either Virtual PC or VM Ware?  I'm not sure if it would work or not,
>> particularly given some of the things I've read about video drivers in
>> virtual machines.
>>
> Works in VM Ware, but you want a pretty fast machine, preferably dual
> CPUs.

Please clarify this. Are you saying you have the backend running in a
virtual machine, performing video capture and everything, or do you
have just a remote frontend in the virtual machine?

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot run the backend in a virtual
machine, because it doesn't have the direct access to the tuner that it
needs.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE