[mythtv-users] Which CPU/mobo for < $100?

Ben Curtis fmstratk at coronium.com
Wed Oct 8 14:11:41 EDT 2003

This will be a MythTV box, as well as replace my old linux box (P2 266)
that runs my lowly website and some other nick nacks.  I've got a PVR-250,
so capture CPU is no big deal, and a FX5200, so MPEG2 playback should be
good.  I want the machine to be able to capture and view (or watch DIVX,
etc) at full res (720x480) with no hickups and still be able to run my
other background stuff.  Unfortunatly, I just toasted my P3 650 chip, so
I'm in the market.

So far I'm looking at (prices are per pricewatch):
Athlon XP 2400 $98
Celeron 2.0 ghz (not VIA chipset) $98
Athlon XP 1700 $67 (hey, if its all I need, price is right)

Also, is it better to go with an Athlon XP in linux or a Duron or plain
Athlon of equal price?

Thanks a ton,
Ben