[mythtv-users] apt needs unique solutions (was: Installation problems)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Wed Oct 8 17:41:48 EDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 01:01:55PM -0700, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> >Reading Package Lists... Done
> >Building Dependency Tree... Done
> >You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
> >The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> >ivtv-kmdl-2.4.20-20.9: Depends: /boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-20.9
> >E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
> >specify a solution).
>
> The main problem is actually that apt is being a little bitch.
> Requesting the kernel module (the kmdl part) for a specific kernel
> along with the base package on the same line SHOULD work without a
> problem, but isn't for some reason. The ivtv package has a requirement
> for a kmdl to go with it, which is supposed to be satisfied by
> specifying ivtv-kmdl-$KERNEL on the same line, but for some reason, it
> isn't. Try this for now, and I and/or Axel will try to figure out what
> the hell is going on w/apt...:
>
> # apt-get install ivtv-kmdl-$KERNEL
> # apt-get install ivtv

I think the problem is that apt was never designed to cope with
multiple solutions to the given problem. E.g. if there a multiple
packages that satify the requirements apt picks the first in ints
internal list. anything more complex would be optimization theory ;)

So in such cases one should give apt commands that have a unique
solution, e.g. installing the explicit kernels/kmdls first (these are
the ambiguous ones), and then the rest. ... :(
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de