[mythtv-users] bttv 0.7.x lockups (was: lock up and blank screen when trying to watch tv)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Wed Oct 8 17:33:40 EDT 2003

Hi Dean,

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 07:36:20PM -0500, Dean wrote:
> I put a wintv card in for the capture (bt878).
> [...]
> I updated using apt-get (including kernel and sources) then did apt-get
> install mythtv-suite.
> [...]
> The issue came up when I selected TV -> Watch TV.
>
> Complete lockup and I was kicked out of the ssh session to that machine
> from another as well. Nothing but a hard reboot would correct it.
>
> Once rebooted, I tried to record a program and it locked the same way.
>
> Looking through the log file shows nothing interesting at all.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?

The bttv driver in the vanilla kernel (0.7.x) doesn't cope well with
some cards. The newer bttv driver (0.9.x) is causing less trouble
(Check also the docu at http://bytesex.org/bttv/).

You can get the new bttv driver from atrpms, even with apt-get, like
apt-get install bttv-kmdl-<kernel> bttv etc., but it requires a v4l2
enabled kernel, e.g. you must upgrade your kernel, too. Fortunately
there is also such a kernel at atrpms ;)

Check also the docu in
http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/name/kernel/
http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/name/bttv/
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de