HTML posting (was: Re: [mythtv-users] pcHDTV card)

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Oct 7 22:18:09 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Oct 7, 2003, at 20:48 US/Pacific, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> On Tuesday 07 October 2003 16:55, Lan Barnes wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 04:45:37PM -0400, Chris Poch wrote:
>>
>> -automatic delete of html, gif-
>>
>> I am baffled as to why anyone using Mozilla on Linux would send a
>> basically Linux list html email. I can't speak for anyone else, but I
>> delete mail like that w/o reading.
>
> Hear, hear!
>
> The last time I posted a message like yours, I got an off-list email
> from the
> offender suggesting that I get a 'better', HTML-capable mail reader,
> since I
> seem to be the only one 'complaining' about it.

Some people... :)

> The fact is, I use several MUAs and they are all HTML-capable (KMail,
> Outlook).  That doesn't change the fact that sending HTML mail to a
> mailing
> list is bad netiquette.

I never use HTML mail at any time. HTML email is one of those things I
wish never happened. 99% of HTML email I see is spam...

> Not to mention, it messes up the searchable gossamer
> and pipermail archives & those receiving the list in digest format.
> Plus,
> it's a real PITA to try to do a quoted reply in plain text to a
> message that
> was originally HTML.  Yet, I sit there like an idiot inserting carriage
> returns and adding little "> "s to the front of every line so that my
> reply
> will be readable by everyone.

Heh. Well, perhaps a better mail client IS in order! Just kidding, of
course, though Apple Mail has no problem quoting an HTML mail in a text
reply. That's what I usually use. :)

> Maybe I should ignore them like you do.

Not a bad idea. There's a guy on the Red Hat/Fedora mailing lists who
has the signature "Michael, who does not reply to top-posts or complete
quotes anymore" or something like that...

> Nice to know I'm not the only one.

'Tis definitely a nuisance, particularly in digest mode. I don't see
any difference in presentation or reply behavior when not in digest
mode, but I think that is due to the way I have Apple Mail set up
(compose always in text, replies only in text, but allow viewing of
html mail). I didn't even realize his message was HTML until looking at
the source after it was brought up. (Speaking of which, WTF is the
use OE, or Outlook...)

> (Note to the original poster:  I don't mean to flame... anyone can
> make an
> honest mistake.  Just please don't tell me that posting in plain text
> is an
> unreasonable request)

I definitely think it is a reasonable request that everyone send plain
text to mailing lists. Certainly not a flame. :)

> No flames, please, folks... it's late and I shouldn't be shooting my
> mouth off
> anyway.  Perhaps it's the Novocaine shot I had earlier...

Heh. Despite the drugs, your argument makes perfect sense, not a
mouth-shooting episode in the least bit. ;p

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...