[mythtv-users] where to get libvorbis-devel source for mythmusic installation

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Oct 7 16:25:13 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Oct 7, 2003, at 12:42 US/Pacific, Ray Olszewski wrote:

>> Well, he really doesn't actually need the source, he just needs
>> libvorbis-devel installed, so:
>>
>> apt-get update
>> apt-get install libvorbis-devel
>>
>> And that'll work on Debain and Red Hat alike (assuming you've
>> installed apt). It is also included on the Red Hat CDs, but I can't
>> speak for any other distro.
>
> You are right, of course, Jarod. From the wording of his original
> question, I inferred that he really did want the source, not the
> binary ... perhaps because he was building a system where he compiled
> everything locally to take advantage of some architecture-dependent
> optimizations that would not be available in stock binaries.

Well, on the flip side, perhaps I'm incorrect in my assumption that he
simply wanted libvorbis-devel installed, and he really did want the
source. :)

But from the looks of it, he just wanted libvorbis-devel installed so
he could build mythmusic, so simply getting it installed somehow was
the goal, be it through building from source or a pre-compiled binary.

> I suppose all this is just a reminder that "source" is a term that
> does have a specific, technical meaning in the context of software.

Absolutely. Then too, perhaps he did mean it that way, but didn't
realize there were distro packages available to ease his pain. ;p

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...