[mythtv-users] DVDs and CD-RW's for SVCDs

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 7 13:59:41 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 07 October 2003 04:27 pm, James Colannino wrote:
> Hi there.  I have a couple of questions regarding the playback of DVDs
> and the burning of SVCDs.  I had heard that MythTV does not play DVDs,
> but then I have heard from others that it does.  So, does anyone here
> know for sure if you can play DVDs or not?  Is there a Myth module
> perhaps that takes care of this?  Does it hook into mplayer perhaps?
>
> My second question is, is it possible to burn SVCDs from the video
> captured by MythTV?  Is there a module that would take care of this from
> within Myth Frontend?  Thanks in advance.
>
> James

Myth does not *natively* play DVDs.  You can configure the MythDVD module
launch your favorite player (MPlayer, Xine, Ogle, etc) to play a DVD.

The nuvexport script can transcode to an SVCD-compliant MPEG-2 file (or DivX
or WMV).  You can then use other tools on any platform to create a burnable
SVCD image (my favorite on Linux is 'k3b').  Be aware of the following issue,
however:  it seems that the SVCD MPEG-2 encoding process likes to have the
audio source sampled at a certain rate (either 44100 or 48000 Hz; I forget
which).  If your Myth recordings are not captured at that sample rate, you
may have problems with audio in your MPEG-2 stream.  I am forced to capture
at 32000 Hz b/c I use btaudio, so I have as yet not been able to produce a
good SVCD.

nuvexport is a command-line  (curses/terminal) Perl program; it is not
integrated into the Myth frontend, though maybe someone will tackle that at
some point.

-JAC