[mythtv-users] can't record a full movie...

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Tue Oct 7 09:03:18 EDT 2003

The responses below seem to eliminate filesystem issues as the source of
your problem. (At least that's so if I assume your Myth captures save to
someplace on /dev/hda3, mounted at /var . If they are on hda1 (/), then the
fact that df shows it as having only 1.9 GB free very likely has something
to do with your problem.) The other possibilities are (a) a problem with
the kernel driver and (b) a problem specific to Myth.

I won't review the answers other people got when they posted similar
problems, since you can search the archives for those replies as easily as
I can. Since your earlier messages are a bit hard to find (they are jumbled
in a thread with two other topice interspersed), I will quote here your
(brief) description of your setup:

"I'm using epia m10k, pvr250-rev1, rh9, 2.4.20-8 with via drivers."

(If you said what version of Myth you are using, I missed it; that's one of
the problems with starting a "new" topic with a reply - it jumbles your
messages with those on other topics in the archive, making it hard to find
background info.)

I did have a problem similar to yours, not involving Myth, but involving
recording with an AverTV card. I found it to be a problem between the
kernel driver (bttv) and the card ... it encountered a situation in which a
test timed out before getting a response from the card. Switching to a
newer-rev AverTV card ended the problem; perhaps modifying the module so
the test would have qwaited longer before timing out woulad have worked
too, but I didn't try it.

You use a PVR-250, so presumably the ivtv module. You might investigate the
possibility that it has a problem similar to the one I ran into with bttv.
Were I investigating this, I'd do two things:

1. Check my logs to see of the ivtv driver posts any errors.

2. Try a non-Myth-based capture using the card, to see if it exhibits
similar problems.

If both these tests come up negative, then I'd consider Myth-specific
problems. In that case, you'll want to post a follow-up (actually, you'll
probably want to start a new thread) that reports the results of the tests
I suggested, reminds us that you've already considered filesystems issues
(otherwise you'll just get those suggestions again), and reports on the
details of the Myth part of your setup.