[mythtv-users] Pauses in Live TV

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Mon Oct 6 20:14:05 EDT 2003

Albert Santoni wrote:
> Bah!
> I'll believe it when I see it.

;-)

> This bug has persisted since I started using MythTV (0.7 I think)... and
> just about every release gets my hopes up that it's fixed...

It was in the read ahead thread which went maybe between 0.7
and 0.8(?). I never watch Live TV except for testing but this
was annoying enough that I spent a day tracking it down.

It was a subtle problem but it has been fixed, honest, you'll
see ;-). There is also a new "prebuffering pause" message to
indicate that the player needed to wait for more data. This
will help distinguish these stuttering events from the jitter
which happens when the frame update timing is uneven. Many
threads on the mailing lists seem to confuse these two types of
problems so I'm hoping that these messages will help identify
which type of problem the users is reporting.

--  bjm