[mythtv] [mythtv-users] Hard Drive (How Big?)

Jayson Garrell kyi at kyi.sytes.net
Mon Oct 6 09:12:47 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 18:04, Chad Sutton wrote:
> I guess it depends on what you call "high-quality". I use Xvid or Divx to
> compress most of my video. I'm very happy with what I would term VCR quality
> videos (1.2kps at 320x480). That allows me to archive any 1 hour show on a
> single CD-R.
>
> If you are looking for CD quality Divx then you might want to go a bit
> higher on the bitrate to handle higher resolutions.
>
> 120gb drives are a great price point right now. I'd go with that. Of course
> you can always expand later.

I would have to second that. I would also like to add... you should make
your store, for mythtv files, on an LVM volume. LVM = Logical Volume
Manager and it will allow you to add more disks to the same mount point
with out losing any of the data you have on there. Example, on my
backend I have 2 160G & 1 80G maxtor drives for almost 400G of formatted
drive space on /mnt/store. LVM is not hard to setup at all as long as
you follow the documents for it.

Jayson Garrell