[mythtv-users] ivtv failure on modprobe, i2c error on boot, RH9 machine

Mike Monk mbmonk at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 4 10:31:49 EDT 2003

First let me give some basic information:

I am running Redhat 9, kernal version 2.4.20-20.9
I am using the ivtv for the same kernal version.
Amd Duron 1200 Mgh, 512 Ram, PVR 250

I am following the installation guide at:
written by Jarod Wilson

I used apt-get and synaptic to download and install the mythtv_suite, ivtv
drivers for my kernal version, and the actual kernal itself

Problem #1)
I have an i2c error on bootup ( it fails to load ) on my RH9 box. I get the
followin error:

Starting lm_sensors: starting up sensors can't access /proc file

/proc/sys/dev/sensors/chips or /proc/bus/i2c unreable

It kicks this error when it is booting up (AKA when you get the green 'OK' )
I get the red "Failure" on the above.

I know that lm_sensors is a linux package that reads and monitor hardware
sensors in the motherboard

Problem #2)
I add the following at the top of my /etc/modules.conf

# For ivtv
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/drivers/media/video
# For bttv and saa7134
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/v4l2
# default path
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`
# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
options ivtv debug=1
options tuner type=2
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner

This is per the instructions from the url I listed at the begining.

Next:   # /sbin/depmod -a
and that works fine

Next:  #  /sbin/modprobe ivtv

Now this kicks the following error:
/lib/modules/2.4.20-20.9/drivers/media/video/ivtv.o: init_module: No such
device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.20-20.9/drivers/media/video/ivtv.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.20-20.9/drivers/media/video/ivtv.o failed Segmentation
fault

I have checked the /lib/modules/2.4.20-20.9/drivers/media/video/ for the
file ivtv.o and it IS in that directory so I am at a loss here.

When I run "/sbin/lspci -v" I get the following for my PVR 250

00:0b.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc: Unknown
device 0016 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.: Unknown device 4009
        Memory at e4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]

Any ideas or help is appreciated. Thank you.

PS: Any information that you feel is important I would be glad to post.