[mythtv-users] Re: PVR-250 worth the upgrade?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Oct 3 15:40:02 EDT 2003

On Friday, Oct 3, 2003, at 14:01 US/Pacific, Will Dormann wrote:

> At 04:36 PM 10/3/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>> The only hardware MPEG decoder boards I know of are the DXR3, PVR-350
>> and
> the
>> on-board decoder on the Via Epia M10K.  There are probably others,
>> but I'm
>> pretty sure that none of the consumer video cards (i.e., GeForce,
>> etc) have
>> hardware decoders.
>>
>> Perhaps you're getting this confused with the XvMC support for the
>> GeForce4
>> MX?  This is an output enhancement only; it doesn't do any decoding.
>> My
>> understanding is that it can help reduce with jitter in high-motion
>> scenes,
>> or something along those lines.
>

> I've heard that the Geforce4 MX cards have hardware MPEG2 decoding.
> Here,
> for example:
> http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/S&V/nvgf4ti-gf4mx.shtml
>
> I'm not sure what the truth behind that is.   Or whether a Linux driver
> would enable this MPEG2 decoder.
> Anybody have some insight into this?

Well, according to nVidia themselves...

http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20020201403631.html

...there's an integrated hardware mpeg2 decoder. Didn't know that until
now myself. Not sure exactly what the level of support for it is in the
current nvidia driver though. The only things mentioned explicitly are
support for XvMC's IDCT and motion-compensation acceleration.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...