[mythtv-users] Re: PVR-250 worth the upgrade?

Ben Curtis fmstratk at coronium.com
Fri Oct 3 15:29:37 EDT 2003

> I have an MSI FX5200 which doesn't have a fan (runs fairly hot though).
> The card works well, has a DVI out (for future compatibility with a
> plasma...), but do be aware that it seems to be too new to be supported
> on older nvidia drivers.  For example booting Knoppix usually brings up
> a black screen.  Also, Win XP (if you use that for any testing),
> wouldn't do anything except call it a standard vga card.

I don't need DVI, in fact would prefer S-Video.  I have a Radeon on a HTPC
in the movie room that runs the projector for DVI.  This is going in the
living room, so really I just need the S-vid.  As for no fan, that sounds
like a big plus for noise.

This driver issue bothers me though.  I plan on running RedHat with KDE,
do you think I will have any problems with it's hardware MPEG2?

Ben