[mythtv-users] PVR-350 and Sound

D Banerjee davatar at comcast.net
Fri Oct 3 13:09:37 EDT 2003

Well that takes the "convergence" out of the mythical convergence box.. The
tv-out will support generic (yuv) video out (according to a short chat on
irc), perhaps it's worth the performance penalty of decoding in software
(not much) in order to be able to decode sound in software as well. What
happens to everything else? mythmusic, mythgame, etc. You also can't
transcode files anymore.

But as I write this I think we may have missed to _obvious_; Feedback the
output into soundcard line in (internal or external) and have myth aware of
the fact that it needs to set line in to unmute. I'm sure it has internal
headers, but external works just as well.

If the 350 output is as limited as people seem to think, it is a very
unattractive option. Decoding mpeg-2 takes little cpu, not to mention most
video cards have hardware assist. I hope I will be able to use a 350 in a
"headless" box.