[mythtv-users] PVR-350 and Sound

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 3 10:48:29 EDT 2003

On Friday 03 October 2003 12:40 pm, jose rubio wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 13:15, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > On Thursday 02 October 2003 12:39 pm, D Banerjee wrote:
> > > Would it be possible to split the nuv and push the mpeg2 audio through
the
> > > sound card?
> >
> > Nope.  You wouldn't be able to guarantee audio sync at all that way.
> >
> > Isaac
>
> So what happens when I want to watch a DVD?  I guess I could not use the
> pvr output then, just the video card and sound card (like I have it now)
>
> I'm just thinking outloud here but correct me if the following is a
> wrong set up:
>
> I could have the s-video coming out of the pvr into the s-video of the
> tv (and that will bring with it the tv-sound)

Wrong.  S-Video doesn't carry sound.  That's why it's called S-_VIDEO_ and not
'S-Audio/Video' :-)

> then I could have my tv
> pass that sound to my stereo _and_ I could have the comp. video out of
> my video card into the tv and my sound card output also into the tv.
>
> Then I would need to switch inputs whenever I select to play a DVD????
>
> Wait, come to think of it, where is the frontend showing up? it's not
> coming out of the pvr is it? I ... am .... so ..... confused ....

Well, it may not work this way now (or it may; I don't have a PVR-350), but
presumably once the PVR-350 decoder is well-supported, you should be able to
play any MPEG-2 stream (audio & video) through it.  That includes DVDs, as
they're MPEG-2.  In the case of Myth, I don't have a HW decoder, so I can't
say, but I believe Isaac's ultimate goal is to be able to have the entire
frontend display (GUIs and video) go out through the HW decoder (otherwise
you'd need 2 displays for 1 frontend).  Exactly how far along this is, I'm
not sure, since I can't see it for myself.  I've only seen commits to the
effect that video & OSD are working for some of the HW decoders; I don't know
if that includes GUI.

So, eventually, if all your shows are recorded with the PVR-250/350, you
should be able to watch all of your Myth shows plus DVDs and (S)VCDs using HW
decoding (assuming there is support in MPlayer/Ogle/Xine (Xine/Xexp already
supports it for VIA's CLE decoder)).  However, if you want to watch Myth
recordings made with an analog tuner, or DivX movies, or any other
non-MPEG-1/2 video, then you'll have to switch the inputs on your TV, I
believe.

-JAC