[mythtv-users] OSS -vs- ALSA sound

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Oct 3 04:41:45 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Oct 2, 2003, at 08:03 US/Pacific, Ian Forde wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 03:04, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
>> For mplayer, the default viewer in MythVideo and MythDVD, I just added
>> '-ao alsa9' to the command line. Works great for me on my Audigy, and
>> like Ian said, anything and everything plays out the digital coax
>> connection to my Yamaha amp, which also like Ian's, switches on the
>> fly
>> to handle whatever gets thrown at it.
>
> Yeah, but for passthrough in ac3-encoded files in MythVideo I found I
> had to use '-ac hwac3' as well.  Now having said that, I don't remember
> if I had to do the same for dvd playing (although I believe I might
> have
> had to)

Cool, I didn't know about that switch. I'll try it out.

Would that also by chance correct the obnoxious problem of audio being
at drastically different levels from file to file when I try encoding
them w/dvd::rip using ac3? I've been having to switch to ogg and use
volume rescaling when using dvd::rip because of it, in order to get
files with consistent volume levels. Files ripped w/forty-two using ac3
on my Mac always have perfect volume levels though...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...