[mythtv-users] Simple upgrading question (to CVS)

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Oct 3 04:08:49 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Oct 2, 2003, at 23:11 US/Pacific, Neil Konouchi wrote:

> I did a lot of looking around, and I just wanted to ask a very simple
> question: can I install CVS by following the instructions in Ian's post
> about upgrading from .8 to CVS?
>
>  http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=63326
>
> I followed those instructions exactly, but on make I got several error
> messages to the effect of:
>
>  nuppeldecoder.h:85: syntax error before `*' token
>  make[2]: *** [NuppelVideoPlayer.o] Error 1
>  make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/local/src/myth/cvs/mythtv/libs/libmythtv'
>  make[1]: *** [sub-libmythtv] Error 2
>  make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/myth/cvs/mythtv/libs'
>  make: *** [sub-libs] Error 2
>
> The errors are one thing, but my main question here is geared towards
> finding out that if I follow the directions in the above link properly
> that I should be able to run the latest CVS.

Some things changed in how you build from source, so those directions
won't quite work. Look in the official docs for the steps needed.

> (My current setup followed Jarod C's step-by-step to the letter and is
> working so far. Used "apt-get install mythtv-suite" for my initial
> installation).

You're going to run into issues. The rpms install stuff in /usr/bin,
while source-based installs result in having that stuff in
/usr/local/bin. You'll end up with multiple copies of all sorts of
stuff floating around. I'd say either completely uninstall the rpms
(this should leave your config info, recordings, etc intact, because
all that is in your mysql database) and then install from CVS source,
or build your own rpms off the CVS source and install them w/rpm -Uvh.
The second route is the one I'm going.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE