[mythtv-users] PVR-250 worth the upgrade?

Jason Radford jasonml at iconimaging.net
Fri Oct 3 01:21:55 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 17:44:44 -0500
Nathan Poznick <poznick at conwaycorp.net> wrote:

> mencoder -o output.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:preset=128 \
> -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=2000 -vop scale=640:480 -aspect 4:3 \
> input.nuv
>
> That drops it down to right about a gigabyte an hour.  Obviously, by
> shrinking the size and/or dropping the bitrate you could get it lower.

Apparently xvid (which I didnt have compiled into mplayer) yields a MUCH
better picture than mpeg4 (using stock options here) going from mpeg2.  I
always noticed artifacts no matter what bitrate I re-encoded at, except
with xvid they are not noticable at all.  The transcode is close to being
perfect which is a BIG relief.  Hopefully the automatic conversion the
mythtv guys are working on will support xvid!

Thanks nathan!

-Jason