[mythtv-users] constant flames against people that are new to thelist - can't we all be adults here?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 2 14:08:18 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Oct 2, 2003, at 03:54 US/Pacific, Edward Wildgoose wrote:

> I have no axe to grind, but you make a couple of interesting points:
>
>>> Heck, if it really chaps your
>>> hide, just hit 'next' or skip the thread completely, don't add to the
>>> bandwidth by flaming.
>>
>> Again, trying to inform people of the right way to do things, not
>> flaming them.
>
> Yes, but *I* thought that was what the definition of "flaming" was? ie
> giving someone a roasting for asking a silly question?
>
> I don't have any comment on *what* you are doing, but you seem to be
> arguing that giving these folks a verbal kicking (see earlier part of
> your email) is for their own good, but that this is *not* a flame... I
> would have said that such comments *were* "flames"?

I'd call it a flame if someone said "Read the f-ing manual, you stupid
idiot." Saying "read the manual and search the list before you post" is
hardly a flame in my book. But that's my book.

> Anyway, if you feel the need, I'm not going to be the one to try and
> stop you.  Just making an observation...

Duly noted. I think we simply differ in opinion as to what is a flame.

> I have a controversial observation (based on people here at my work)
> that the difference between an "IT" person and a "non-IT" person comes
> down to an "IT" person knows how to read the instructions.  There is a
> genuine skill in knowing how to read and search through documentation,
> all the little things like searching for the opposite function (or
> something related) and then using the cross reference, "see also" type
> stuff, to crab sideways to find what you really wanted.

I suppose that does hold some weight, but anyone attempting this
project SHOULD be able to read. I'm talking about questions like "how
do I compile this?". Someone intelligent enough to compile software
from source ought to be able to follow the very plain, step-by-step
directions for how to compile MythTV. The documentation isn't exactly
complex there. It says (and I quote):

Unpack MythTV

$ tar -xjf mythtv-0.11.tar.bz2
$ cd mythtv-0.11
$ ./configure
$ qmake mythtv.pro
$ make

And believe it or not, some people haven't even get that right. They
didn't do the qmake, then bitched when the make failed. Had they taken
two seconds to actually read what that passage says... And this is just
one example of many. I hope people can understand my point here. If a
"non-IT" person can't get that right, then I don't want them
reproducing... :)

> It doesn't appear to be that easy to "most" people to search
> documentation and find what they are looking for...  I think those
> that can do this have a "special skill", don't underestimate the value
> of this...

I didn't say people should 'search' the documentation. I said they
should read all of it in its entirety. Yes, there are those with a
"special skill" that can get through without reading everything, but
I'm saying everyone should take to read ALL the documentation.

> Anyway, I'm sure loads of people never try and read the instructions.
> I have no comment about this, just an observation that some people
> find it much easier than others.

I agree with your observation, but therein lies the problem; too many
people just don't read the instructions.

>> I'm merely trying to express my point of view
>
> I think everyone should be allowed one.

Indeed.

> Have fun..

Always! :)

As of this moment, I'm changing my signature to include a link to the
searchable mailing list archive, so it'll be spattered all across the
mailing list. Though who reads signatures anyway?

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...