[mythtv-users] constant flames against people that are new to thelist - can't we all be adults here?

Tim Harvey tharvey at alumni.calpoly.edu
Thu Oct 2 11:58:38 EDT 2003

From: http://www.hyperdictionary.com/search.aspx?Dict=&define=dearth

Dearth:
 Definition: [n]  an insufficient quantity or number
             [n]  a severe shortage (especially a shortage of food)
  Synonyms:   famine, paucity, shortage
  See Also:   deficiency, lack, scarceness, scarcity, want

Is this really the word you meant to use (seems not according to your
context ;) )?  There is certainly a TON of information on MythTV out
there, but most of it is poorly cataloged and presented.  Searching the
messages for example is difficult if you don't know what terms to search
for, and because of poor message headers.  Honestly, how long would it
take to read every single message in the archive?  Everything I read
would be outdated by the time I had finished that task.  Mythtv-users
has 16421 posts in 3759 threads on gossamer, and Mythtv-dev has 14541
posts in 2978 threads.  There is no excuse for someone not searching
this archive but I wouldn't tell anyone they have to read every message.
I probably monitored this project for a week before I even realized that
the gossamer archive was there... did not jump out at me at all when I
read the info page: http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInfo (I
clicked on the first link, even seeing the 2nd link to gossamer.  Note
the colors of the text chosen... links don't really jump out at you)

I have been monitoring this project for a couple of weeks now and I have
yet to come across an actual 'FAQ'.  The documentation accompanying the
project is great, but in my opinion is very technical and would either
a) confuse a lot of people, b) dissuade people from reading it fully

I think something that may solve some of the problems is to have an
actual FAQ and additionally have an actual 'userguide' for MythTV as the
documentation which currently is an installation guide.  I've found
myself having to go through the code to simply get a list of keybindings
for the various modules (outside of keys.txt).  This as well as
explanations of setup parameters would be the kind of thing that I would
expect to see in a userguide.  I realize that a lot of the 'overasked'
questions out there are most likely not questions that would be covered
in a userguide but I think that all of them would be covered in a
cleanly documented FAQ.  I've read over
http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInstall and your guide at
http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=rh9pvr250, which are
both excellent, a dozen times but they both still left me with a ton of
questions.

I'm certainly not complaining or anything... as I think this is a great
project.  I'm just pointing out some obvious documentation weaknesses
that I've found.  By no means am I a technical writer and being a
programmer I subscribe to the quote I saw on this list that
'Documentation is boring', but I'm willing to put together the start of
both of these documents in hopes that they can be maintained and have
patches submitted by us all as the rest of the project.

So anyway... look for a posting from me in the near future (emphasize
future more than near as I'm limited on time for another few weeks)
providing hopefully a good start to a 'MythTV FAQ' and 'MythTV
UserGuide', but certainly don't look at me to keep it up to date as I'm
anxious to get in and start coding ;)

Tim