[mythtv-users] TV-card only (with good quality)?

Cooper Bethea cooper.bethea at duke.edu
Wed Oct 1 16:53:52 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 15:16, Dan Conti wrote:
> But my short take is this - if you dont know about something
> it's best not to talk about it. In this case (as you understand now) you
> didn't really know about the different ATI cards. I'm sure from isaac's
> position it's just as annoying to constantly correct people as it is to
> point out where in the docs people could find their answers.

oh, that's strange. when i'm confused about something that is /not/
clearly explained in the docs (like when ati's godawful naming system
confuses me) i ask questions. maybe i even try to get things fixed,
assuming that other people are confused as i am.

> but you have to realize that this isn't a paid support forum. This
> is people in their free time trying to help other people out, and just
> like you expect other people to invest time in helping you, other
> people expect you to invest time in trying to help yourself first.As
> an example,
> the replies i've received have been very helpful when the problem is not
> documented and i have a solid explanation; they have also been very short
> when my question is answered in the manual.

look, i'm asking for a clarification of something that is in the
documentation. i'm going to assume that the manual is canonical here,
and it's definitely the first stop for new users like myself. this is a
very small naming difference that has big consequences, considering how
common ati cards are, and it would take about 30 seconds to fix up in
the documentation, and then you wouldn't have to field these questions
anymore. if people are repeatedly asking questions like mine, and are
actually reading the manual, then maybe that's a good sign that you
should update the manual rather than flame. grepping a 59MB text file of
months of list archives which necessarily contains outdated information
is a poor second to having real documentation. i even offered you a fix
for the manual that you could cut & paste.

at any rate, i'm not asking people to cut and paste from the manual for
me, i'm suggesting that maybe if you can't construct a response without
being rude you should hold it and show a little consideration; doing
unpaid coding or support doesn't mean that people will appreciate it
when you're rude to them, or that by doing so you won't hurt your
project.