[mythtv-users] Dedicated hardware recommendations

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Nov 28 16:00:56 EST 2003

Steve Hill wrote:
> Does Myth sync properly with all graphics cards or is it just the Nvidia
> cards (a look at the source shows it looking at /dev/nvidia0 so it seems
> to have Nvidia-specific code in there, but I'm not sure if it has code for
> other cards too?)

The nVidia driver 4363 has a feature that allows MythTV to
try to update the framebuffer during VBI. This feature is
broken in the current nVidia 44xx driver. No other cards
support this feature. AFAIK, there is no similar feature
for the PVR-350. For cards other than the nVidia with A/V
Sync turned on, myth will try to update the frames at equal
intervals but has no idea when the VBI happens.

The advantage of the PVR-350 is that there is a one-to-one
alignment of the scanlines. However, I've experimented with
setting the nVidia TVOverScan to 1.0, 640x480 (Nx576 for PAL)
deinterlace off, no myth GUI height adjustment and no myth
overscan height adjustment. This appears to align scanlines
as well fixing most interlace problems and the images look
more vivid.

I don't have a 350 for side by side comparison but if they
are comparable, nVidia has two advantages; vsync and the
ability to play MPEG-4 and RTjpeg files.

--  bjm