[mythtv-users] Feelin' lucky

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Fri Nov 28 05:06:48 EST 2003

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Harry Orenstein wrote:

> I cannot ever remember seeing a discussion on
> this list of UPSes.  It seems a natural topic.  I have
> my Myth box and I want to keep it up and running
> 24/7, so I need a UPS.

I don't run a UPS at home, but at work we sell Linux servers and recommend
the APC Backups ES350 or CS350 with the USB interface.  You can then use
apcupsd (http://www.sibbald.com/apcupsd/) to talk to the UPS, shut the box
down when the battery gets to a certain level (so when the battery runs
out it powers off safely), get battery status, etc.  It seems to work
well, and I believe apcupsd supports networked shutdowns too so you can
have several boxes plugged into the UPS and the one with the USB
connection can tell the others when to shut down over the network.

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/

        *** Presented in DoubleVision (Where Drunk) - Futurama ***