[mythtv-users] bttv audio (tvaudio) too load

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Tue Nov 25 16:55:49 EST 2003

	OK... sorry I wasn't specific, but from what I've read, the bttv's are
all pretty much a crapshoot.  Here's the kernel info for the card:
Nov 25 09:06:36 localhost kernel: bttv0: detected: STB TV PCI FM, Gateway
	P/N 6000704 [card=40], PCI subsystem ID is 10b4:2636
Nov 25 09:06:36 localhost kernel: bttv0: using:
	BT878(STB TV PCI FM, Gateway ) [card=40,autodetected]
Re. the msp3400... I thought that was for the Hauppauge PVR[23]50?  I don't
think it applies here.

	Just to give another data point though.  I believe I've found the
issue (not fixed it yet, but found it).  While running gv4l (graphical frontend
to transcode's v4l options - I've done the command-line stuff, but this is
easier to play with quickly), I noticed in the transcode log a line like
"(video.c): volume=87% bass=53%, treble=53%", etc, etc.  I looked at my
transcode source for the transcode-0.6.11/import/v4l/video.c file, and sure
enough:
	//reduce output volume to 7/8 of maximum
   	grab_setattr(GRAB_ATTR_VOLUME, 57344);
which I promptly changed to:
	grab_setattr(GRAB_ATTR_VOLUME, 32768);

problem solved, but only for the transcode package that I fried up.  I suspect
that mythtv's source has something like this (based on transcode, even?).  I
have not looked through it, however.

	The bigger question is can this be set with a config option, or does it
need to be hacked directly?

Thanks again for any suggestions,
-Cory

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> On Tuesday 25 November 2003 07:27, papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> >         I've started arguing with btaudio (driver loads, I've mknod'd
> > devices and can mix, etc), but haven't heard a lick out of them.  Not
> > quite sure where to go with that either.  Perhaps the card doesn't
> > go?  Looking at the physical card I see a tda7432, tea6420, and
> > tda9850 chips, which I think does tv demod and stereo?
>

> Well, you didn't say what card you have, which would have helped.  But,
> the chip you need to look for is, AFAIK, the msp3400.  Even if you have
> this chip, though, some cards don't have it wired up properly for
> btaudio to work.
>
> -JAC

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*
* 	- learn what you don't know, 					*