[mythtv-users] HDTV question for newbie

audin at okb-1.org audin at okb-1.org
Tue Nov 25 14:09:05 EST 2003

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 09:22:43PM -0700, rgoodkin at zaius1.homeunix.org wrote:
> 1.)  Is there a tuner card out there that will decode digital signals?
> Do the cable/satellite companies follow a standard for digital
> programming?  It seems the only way to do it is have the set top box
> decode the digital signals and have myth just externally control the
> tuner?
>
> 2.)  Is it possible to get HDTV broadcasts that are done over DIGITAL
> means to decode on the PC?  I guess I don't know how this setup works in
> the real world.  Does the set top box just spit out a signal that is
> equivilant to a broadcast HDTV ATSC?  What capture card do I need to get
> these resolutions?

	I think you might want to be a little more careful in your use of the
term 'digital'.  DirecTV-like satellite, 'digital-cable', and over-the-air
ATSC are all digital signals.

	I believe you are out of luck in terms of receiving either of the
first two directly.  You'll need a tuner/decryptor which are only generally
available from the companies involved.

	OTA ATSC signals, on the other hand, are totally in the clear.  The
HD-2000/pcHDTV card at http://www.pchdtv.com/ seems to work quite well.  It
just dumps the raw MPEG-TS stream.

	It is my understanding that OTA ATSC signals are not slated to change
format for the foreseeable future, so a similar card should continue to work
indefinitely.  (Of course, the MPAA will do all they can to change that...)

                                            Audin Malmin - audin at okb-1.org