[mythtv-users] OT: Anybody create CVDs on Linux?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 24 17:13:59 EST 2003

On Monday 24 November 2003 16:35, James L. Paul wrote:
> On Monday 24 November 2003 10:25, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > I suppose this is only slightly off-topic, but...
> >
> > I've been enjoying the ability to use mythtranscode & nuvexport to
> > create SVCDs of shows that I want to save (after the commercials
> > have been cut out, of course).  Now I'd like to try archiving to
> > CVD instead (that's 1/2 D1, or 352x480).  Has anybody created such
> > a beast under Linux, and if so, would you mind sharing the correct
> > parameters to mpeg2enc and tcmplex?  I plan on setting up a
> > recording profile to record at 352x480, so I don't have to scale,
> > just transcode & multiplex.
>
> I've made dozens of CVDs from my recorded MythTV files. Also DVDs. I
> single shows on CVD and episode collections on DVD.
>
> I don't have any recent experience transcoding non-MPEG2 .nuv files
> though, I am using PVR-250 cards to capture directly to 1/2 D1 so I
> can avoid transcoding. What format are you capturing in? I've
> transcoded MPEG4 and DivX to MPEG2 1/2 D1 a few times. I rarely use
> mpeg2enc directly, I usually use transcode and mplex.

Hmmm, well, I don't have a PVR-x50... though I have 2 M-179s on order,
so hopefully I'll be able to capture direct to 1/2 D1 soon.  In the
meantime I capture to mostly RTjpeg, though I can do MPEG-4 for shows
that I know I want to archive.  So, 2 questions:

(1) When you've transcoded Div/MPEG-4 to MPEG-2 1/2 D1, how did you do
it (i.e., mpeg2enc?  transcode? what options? and what options for
mplex/tcmplex ?)

(2) Once you have an 1/2 D1 MPEG-2 file (either from transcoding or
hardware encoder), how do you author it?  I use vcdimager (well, via
k3b) to author my SVCDs, but how are CVDs authored?  Are they authored
like DVDs, or like (S)VCDs?  What tools do you use?

Thanks again,

JAC