[mythtv-users] Question about recording on PVR350

Gary Oliver go at l5.org
Mon Nov 24 15:24:55 EST 2003

I'm curious what the plan or means is for setting up a record operation
from the Composite or SVideo (not Tuner) input on a PVR350.  I've been
playing with the current CVS of mythtv (rather impressive so far and a
few of my friends were blown away with the user interface.)  I've done
what I believe is the proper setup for defining the inputs and channels
and associations and can set up a record session on an "over the air"
channel, but can see no way to say "record the Composite input."

As a test, I tried adding the Composite to the configuration, giving it
a channel list and, indeed, the list showed up on the menues.  But
further confusion ensued when I couldn't tell the difference between
KXYZ (tuner) and KXYZ (composite).  I couldn't tell which was which by
the menu.  And there was still no way to just select "Composite" for
recording.

Also, on a related note, I'm curious if I'm seeing a bug due to my
platform: there appears to be nothing significant taking place when I
select a channel.  The input doesn't switch.  I can use either the
test_ioctl program or the ptune script and manually select an input and
channel and mythtv will then show that channel live (or record it if I
have a recording session set up.)  But switching channels in mythtv
doesn't seem to do anything for me.  I should mention I'm running a
VIA-based motherboard (ShuttleX Athlon box) and even though the chipset
isn't on the "beware" list, I'm wondering if it isn't part of the
problem. Note, though, that the switching via the test_ioctl and ptune
does work in all cases.

With all of the reported "works great" that I've seen from some PVR350
users, I'm currently wondering if I've just been remiss in something
related to setup, but I have run through the install process a number of
times and am current with respect to all of the CVS and related
dependencies.  It rips DVDs perfectly and plays them well.  I had a few
problems during installation with missing dependencies that weren't on
the list, but they were obvious and easy to fix.  System is a Mandrake
9.2 (which has had it's own problems :-) but is otherwise fully patched
and stable.

Keep up the good works, folks.  This program is truly a "killer app" in
the making.  It has a significantly better GUI than my Dish PVR at this
point and is fully extensible!

Regards,
Gary