[mythtv-users] How to send AND receive lirc with RCA DirecTV?

Dave Smith magellan94 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 24 01:24:24 EST 2003

Hello. I have an RCA DirecTV receiver that I'd like to use with MythTV. I have MythTV configured to receive signal from my TV tuner card (ATI TV Wonder). Now I need to configure MythTV to send channel change signals to my DirecTV receiver and receive commands from a remote control. I read the documentation for configuring lirc for use with an IR blaster (http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-8.html#ss8.7), but I have a few questions before I purchase the necessary cables and equipment.

SnapStream advertises a serial cable for use with RCA receivers. My RCA receiver is included in the list of compatible models. Will this cable work with MythTV & lirc?
http://store.snapstream.com/dicaparre.html

This cable will enable MythTV to send signals to the DirecTV box; will the cable also allow MythTV to get remote control signals received by the DirecTV box? In other words, does the IR Blaster cable communicate both ways -- remote control from DirecTV and channel changes from MythTV -- or do I need an additional IR receiver for MythTV to get signals from a remote control? I suspect that I need both -- an IR receiver for the remote, and an IR blaster cable to send channel changes to the DirecTV box. What can I use to receive IR signals if my serial port connection is taken by the IR blaster cable? Is there an inexpensive USB IR receiver that works with lirc?

What am I missing? Do I need anything else to get MythTV working with my DirecTV receiver?

Thanks,
Dave