[mythtv-users] MythTV Success, Now help me optimize [OFF TOPIC]

David Bourgoyne dbourgoyne at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 23 22:55:28 EST 2003

I think that's what I want to do.  I'm just a little confused on the
routing tables.  My Linux box has the following routing table.

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U          40 0
0 eth0
127.0.0.0         *               255.0.0.0           U          40
0          0 lo
default           192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG       40 0
0 eth0

I'm thinking about assigning the second ethernet card ip address
192.168.2.2 and the xbox 192.168.2.5.  Can I then just set a default
gateway on the xbox to 192.168.2.2 and everything will work (meaning the
xbox can get to the internet)?  This means that a packet destined for
the internet on the xbox goes to the default gateway 192.168.2.2 (second
ethernet on my Linux box), the Linux box then sends it to it's default
gateway 192.168.1.1.  You think this will work?

I thought maybe "bridging" would be a transparent solution and I could
keep everyone on 192.168.1.X, but I don't understand bridging.

Anyway I made a trip to homedepot today, got a 100' of cat5e and some
wall plates.  So I'll be spending the holidays wiring.

- David