[mythtv-users] Serial control specs

Itai Tavor itai at iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 23 02:21:14 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to make my mythTV system as customizable and future-proof as
possible, so I'm building in external tuner control even though I don't
have an external cable or satellite box atm. I'm connecting a
receive/transmit lirc circuit to COM2, which takes care of IR control,
and I'd also like to have serial control from COM1. I can't find any
specs on the serial input in cable boxes... The TIVO and many other
PVR's use a 2-line jack for serial control - does that mean that all I
need is to output TxD and ground? Do all cable boxes use standard RS232
levels?

I'm not worried about software atm, I can deal with that later, but I
only get one chance to get the hardware right, so I really want to be
sure about this.

TIA, Itai